Editor’s Note: Russell County has a long history that is important to the State of Alabama and its evolvement from an area described in the book “Russell County in Retrospect” by Anne Kendrick Walker as a “barbaric land” to what it is today. Many of the people who set their roots in the county in its early days including the state’s first Territorial Delegate to the United States Congress, important Native Americans who paid with their lives to cede land that created the county, a family that started a place of higher learning in south Russell County that later led to the establishment of one of the state’s most known institutions of education today and a former slave who placed a monument to honor his former owner, are very much important to the formation of Alabama. The story that follows is another of a series to inform you – our readers – about the history of Russell County.
There have been many significant events through out the history of Russell County. This week’s column will deal with some of those events. Come along to see just what all has happened over the years.
1821 – President James Monroe appointed Colonel John Crowell to the Agency at Fort Mitchell as the fifth agent of Indian Affairs. Crowell died in 1846 at age 66,
1825 – Fort Mitchell rebuilt nu Major S. Donoho.
1832 – Treaty of Cusseta
1832 – First house built in Phenix City by Horace King for John Godwin.
1856 – July 7 Silver Run became Seale’s Station in honor of Captain Arnold Seale, contractor of the road.
1865 – The Battle of Girard
1870 – Horace King rebuilt the Dillingham Street Bridge, which stood until 1910.
1885 – Girard School was built.
1916 – “The Clean Up of 1916,” State Troopers came and confiscated all the whiskey.
1935 – Pittsview received electricity. ,
1954 – Albert Patterson elected Attorney General of Alabama.
1954 – Albert Patterson died after being shot in the alley next to the Coulter Building.
1955 – Phenix City honored by Look Magazine and the National League of Communities as an All-American City.
1957 – Phenix City Library opens in a frame building on 13th Street that the American Legion donated.
1958 – Central High School’s Keyhole newspaper celebrated its 25th anniversary.
1963 – Oglethorpe Bridge opened.
1963 – New Phenix City Municipal Building built on Board Street.
1964 – Old Phenix City Post Office on 14th Street, erected in 1938, was aquired and remodeled for use as a public library.
1966 – New Phenix Municipal Stadium was built, through a $415,000 bond issue, off Summerville Road.
1966 – Alabama Kraft Company began its operation on a 1,900-acre site on the Chattahoochee River.
1968 – The Russell County Historical Commission was chartered.
1969 – Phenix City’s first official flag was presented by the Russell County DAR Chapter.
1970 – Old Palace Theatre torn down. It opened in 1920 and closed in 1956.
1970 – Russell County and Phenix City received an official Coat of Arms.
1971 – The Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl came to Phenix City to determine the Division III national Champion.
1973 – The Russell County Commission became a five-member body.
1973 – A record-setting 14 to 16 inches of snow blanketed Phenix City and Russell County.
1974 – First classes held at Chattahoochee Valley Community College.
1975 – The Roy E. Martin Center was constructed and occupied.
1976 – Phenix City’s first statue dedicated at the July 4th American Revolution Bicentennial.
1976 – Marie Rose “Dolly” Wilson was the first woman elected to the Russell County Commission.
1977 – Phenix City voters chose to be governed by a City Manager-Council of five members.
1980 – Jane Gullatt was elected the first woman to serve as Mayor of Phenix City.
1999 – Phenix City National Little League won the United States Championship.