It has been 25 years and 295 games since Central High School has played in the Football Championship Game. It is by way of much hard work and determination that Central High School has reached the pinnacle of Alabama High School Sports. The visiting Red Devils will take on the Warriors of Thompson in Jordan- Hare Stadium on Dec. 5 at 8 p.m. ET.
Superintendent Randy Wilkes offers his congratulations to Coach Jamey DuBose and this year’s squad and encourages the community to support the nearly 130-member squad by attending the many events slated for Championship Week.
Superintendent Wilkes noted that he is especially proud of the character displayed by the team both on and off of the field of play and reminds readers of the great academic and behavioral expectations of student-athletes. Wilkes also complimented the CHS Cheerleaders, Red Devil Marching Regiment, Dazzling Devils Dance Team, NJROTC Drill Team, and student section for their efforts.
Regarding school hours during Championship Week, parents should be advised that due to safety concerns, double bus routes, and lengthened television game time, Phenix City Schools will alter some dismissal times on Wednesday and will observe a delayed start on Thursday. Details are below.
• On Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018,
• Grades 8-12 will dismiss at 1:15 p.m.
• Grades preschool-7 will dismiss as normal.
• On Thursday, Dec. 6, 2018, all schools (all grades) will observe a delayed start of two hours.
Wilkes added that it is the desire of Phenix City Schools to make this a community-wide event and that all are invited to attend the activities listed below.
• On Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018, at 1:45 p.m., the public is invited to attend a “send-off” at Central High School. Students grades 9-12 will line the school roads for bus departure. Special permission has been granted by the City of Phenix City for the public to line Dobbs Drive from the school’s entrance to the intersection of Dobbs Drive and Opelika Road. The public will be allowed to enter and park in the student parking area until 1:30 p.m. Permission has been granted by Golden Acres Baptist Church to use the parking lot as another location for supporters to gather to show their support. Balloons, noise makers, and signage are encouraged.
• On Wednesday, December 5, 2018, tentatively at 5:45 p.m. ET, players will disembark buses for the “Champions Walk” outside Jordan-Hare Stadium. Location and firm times are to be released later.
Stadium seating, ticket, parking, and other information can be found under the “Peachjar App” on the system’s website: www.pcboe.net.