New STAR I.D. required by Oct. 1

New STAR I.D.  required by Oct. 1

Implemented to fight terrorism and reduce fraud, Alabama’s new Star I.D. (Secure • Trusted • Reliable) is the new driver’s license requirement, mandatory if you fly in the United States. Modeled after the federal Real ID Act of 2005, the STAR I.D. began as a pilot project in central Alabama in 2011 in Montgomery, Autauga, and Chilton counties and began state-wide issuance in 2011. 

The Real ID Act of 2005 required that all states meet new identification guidelines for air travel. All but three states are compliant. The following states were granted extensions: Oklahoma, Oregon, and New Jersey. 

If you live in Alabama, you are expected to have your new license by Oct. 1 of this year. The STAR I.D. has a star in the upper left corner for verification. 

Where and How to Get One

You can only get the Star I.D. at your local Driver’s License Department. All domestic flyers will be required to have either a STAR I.D. or a current passport. Some military installations require a STAR I.D. for access. You will need documents to establish your identity, date of birth, authorized presence in the United States, and your address of principal residence. You can either have a STAR I.D. driver’s license or a STAR I.D. identification card, not both simultaneously. If you get the I.D. before your driver’s license expires, you will pay the duplicate fee. 

What You’ll Need to Get One

In order to get the Star I.D., you must verify your identity and date of birth. U.S. citizens must have a valid U.S. passport, a certified birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certification of Naturalization issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), or Certificate of Citizenship issued by DHS. If you have recently changed your name, you must also bring a court ordered name change document, marriage certificate, or divorce decree.

Non-citizens need PRC

Non-citizens must have a valid Permanent Resident Card – I-551 for Lawful Permanent Residents, a valid passport, a government issued document showing your full name, or a DHS document showing proof of lawful presence. If your name has changed by marriage/divorce, you must have your name changed on your Citizen and Immigration Services documents.

Both citizens and non-citizens must bring their social security card and two documents showing their principal residence. You must verify your social security number by bringing the card itself, a U.S. military form, medicare/medicaid form, or a W-2 tax form. 

Applicants must verify their address of principal residence by providing any two of the following: voter registration card, residential mortgage contract, current lease or rental agreement for housing, proof of payment of residential property tax, previous year’s tax returns bearing applicant’s address, vehicle registration bearing applicant’s name and address, utility bill less than 90 days old, any state or federal court documents indicating full address of residence, school enrollment documentation, defense Department Form 214, Sex Offender registration documents, current homeowners insurance policy with name and address, Social Security benefits statements/summary mailed to physical address, U.S. or state government check, or other document, mailed to applicant’s physical address, military orders documenting duty station and place of residence.